Home Forums Health (physical, emotional, spiritual) My kids are the pickiest eaters! How can I make sure they are getting enough nutrition to keep them healthy?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant
    • Katie
      Participant

When it comes to a child’s nutrition, there are many different approaches available. Here’s what I recommend with my clients. First, when evaluating the nutrient density of the diet, focus on the week versus the day. In an ideal world, each meal would be the perfect balance of macronutrients for the individual’s needs, with 3+ colors on the plate, etc. It’s pretty obvious how unrealistic that is when it comes to little ones (or even teenagers for that matter). Instead, I recommend focusing on their overall diet throughout the course of the week. Maybe focus on 1-2 colors a day versus at each meal. Next, engage your child in both shopping and cooking. When it comes to shopping, ask your child to help you find foods that span the color of the rainbow to help pique their curiosity. For cooking, have your child help (where age appropriate) with the cooking process. Take it a step further by having them smell or try (when appropriate) the individual ingredients and ask for feedback. Another option is to enroll your child in cooking lessons so they can hone in skills and bring home special recipes to share. I used to teach cooking classes to elementary age school children and they loved getting their hands dirty in the kitchen. I found that most kids were willing to at least try what they had prepared even if they ultimately didn’t enjoy it. These are just a few ideas of many to help get kids to expand their palate. I’m curious what has worked for others. Please share.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.